Summary of findings of the archaeological desk based assessment and historic buildings assessment of Creevela Works. May 2014
Below is a list of mainly direct quotes and summaries from the historic buildings assessment report conducted by ArcHeritage. At the time of the site visit by ArcHeritage, the ground floor interiors were inaccessible and they had to rely on descriptions given by one of the Clear-line directors. This obviously raises the possibility that something may have been missed that a trained archaeologist would have spotted if access had been possible. Additionally, as no previous archaeological investigations have been undertaken at the site there is no geotechnical data, so ArcHeritage were unable to determine any evidence below ground.
- The building is a rare surviving example of a late 18th century or early 19th century agricultural building.
- Despite several phases of alteration, including the removal of the range to allow the construction of Parsonage Crescent in the later 19th century and 20th century additions, it is still considered to be of moderate architectural and historical significance, and of local archaeological significance. This contradicts the statement made recently by Clear-line in the Sheffield Star that the assessment showed that the building had little or no significance.
- The associated farmhouse, Primrose House, is ‘a known cultural asset’, with a late Georgian stone doorcase.
- It stood within 500m of Walkley Hall (I remember reading several weeks down at the archives about a possible link to the Hall. Will have to try and find the reference).
- Unfortunately old maps either do not cover the area or in the case of a later map of 1817 Yorkshire, are not of a suitable scale to show the farm buildings so it is difficult to ascertain the exact age, but evidence from the farmhouse suggests a date of between 1790 and 1820. The first map to show the buildings is the 1840 OS map.
- The 1853 OS map shows a typical late 18th / early 19th century courtyard farm design, the principal building a probable threshing barn.
- Large sandstone quoins are present at corners and around openings. The southern elevation contains a sandstone half ellipse arch. Quoins on each side of the area are continuous from the ground floor, suggesting that this was the original entrance to the building.
- Directly above the ground floor entrance a large sill supports the arch.
- Several straight joints in the Parsonage Crescent elevation mark the locations of now blocked features.
- The majority of the original oak beams remain exposed. The south west bay possesses a king post roof, with the tie beams, struts, principal rafters, purlin cleats and the king posts themselves clearly visible.
- Several features are visible in the exposed stonework of the Parsonage Crescent gable including the upper parts of a doorway and window and three former wooden tie beams.
- In the south east bay, a room that overlooks the works’ south yard contains a partially exposed tie beam and principal rafter.
- The foundations of the former farmyard boundary wall could be hidden beneath the current concrete and tarmac surfaces in the north yard. If present these would be of local significance.
The full report, including photographs and maps can be found here: